Issuing Company: Clinton Williams Ltd., Sydney, Australia|
Country of Issue: Australia
Year of Issue: 1933
Number of Cards in Set: 50
Card Size: 2 15/16" x 2 1/2" (movie card only); 8 15/16" x 2 1/2" (entire 3-part card unfolded)
Issued as insert with what product: Gelatin
Notes: Checklist incomplete. Since the stars and movies are not identified on the cards, this will be a picture checklist with identifications made when known.
These cards were apparently issued with JelleX Gelatin. There is a big ad for Custoza Custard on the back of these cards, but it looks like it is just an ad to try to get you to buy Custoza, and that the cards were issued with JelleX. Both products were made by Clinton Williams in Australia. It is possible the cards were issued with both JelleX and Custoza products.
These cards come as three-part folded cards. When folded up, the movie scene is on the front and an an for Custoza Custard is on the back. When folded out, there are three panels. The left panel shows a picture of a food item that can be made with JelleX on the front and the recipe for making it on the back. These recipe panels are numbered from 1 to 10. The middle panel shows an ad for Custoza Custard on the front and an information blurb about how JelleX is made on the back. The right panel shows a movie scene from a recent Paramount Picture on the front and some collecting information about the movie scenes on the back. The movie scenes do not show the name of the stars pictured or the name of the film. There are spaces on the back where the collector is supposed to write in the name of the stars and the name of the movie.
From an examination of the movie scenes and movie stars on the cards, it looks like just about all of these scenes come from Paramount films that were released between August 5, 1932 (Guilty as Hell) and February 10, 1933 (Sign of the Cross). There are scenes in this set from most of the Paramount films released during that time period.
Thanks to Richard Minns, David Elliott, and Eric Panther for help with this checklist.
1. Helen Hayes and Gary Cooper in "A Farewell to Arms"
2. Helen Hayes in "A Farewell to Arms"
3. Helen Hayes and Gary Cooper in "A Farewell to Arms"
4. Helen Hayes and Gary Cooper in "A Farewell to Arms"
5. Charles Ruggles in "If I Had a Million"
6. Sari Maritza in "Evenings for Sale"
7. Herbert Marshall Sari Maritza in "Evenings for Sale"
8. Sari Martiza and Herbert Marshall in "Evenings for Sale"
9. Fredric March and Elissa Landi in "Sign of the Cross"
10. Claudette Colbert in "Sign of the Cross"
11. Elissa Landi in "Sign of the Cross"
12. George Raft and Constance Cummings in "Night After Night"
13. George Raft, Constance Cummings, and Wynne Gibson in "Night After Night"
14. George Raft and Wynne Gibson in "Night After Night"
15. Gene Raymond and Frances Dee in "If I Had a Million"
16. Lila Lee and Clive Brook in "The Night of June 13"
17. George M. Cohan (twice) in "The Phantom President"
18. Jimmie Durante, George M. Cohan, and Claudette Colbert in "The Phantom President"
19. W. C. Fields
20. Marlene Dietrich in "Blonde Venus"
21. Gary Cooper and Tallulah Bankhead in "Devil and the Deep"
22. Cary Grant and Nancy Carroll in "Hot Saturday"
23. Kay Francis and Herbert Marshall in "Trouble in Paradise"
24. Johnny Mack Brown and Phillips Holmes in "70,000 Witnesses"
25. Marian Nixon and Jack Oakie in "Madison Square Garden"
26. Victot McLaglen and Edmund Lowe in "Guilty as Hell"
27. The Marx Brothers
28. Stuart Erwin and Bing Crosby "The Big Broadcast"
29. Maurice Chevalier and Jeanette MacDonald in "Love Me Tonight"
30. Randolph Scott and Sally Blane in "Wild Horse Mesa"
31. Sally Blane and Randolph Scott in "Wild Horse Mesa"
32. Fred Kohler, Sally Blane, Randolph Scott in "Wild Horse Mesa"
33. Kay Francis and Charles Ruggles in "Trouble in Paradise"
34. Wynne Gibson in "If I Had a Million"
35. W. C. Fields and Alison Skipworth in "If I Had a Million"
36. George Raft
37. Jack Oakie, Gary Cooper, Roscoe Karns in "If I Had a Million"
38. Bing Crosby and Stuart Erwin in "The Big Broadcast"
39. Leila Hyams and Richard Arlen in "Island of Lost Souls"
40. Richard Arlen and Kathleen Burke in "Island of Lost Souls"
41. Arthur Hohl and Charles Laughton in "Island of Lost Souls"
42. Leila Hyams in "Island of Lost Souls"
43. Charles Laughton in "Sign of the Cross"
44. Lew Cody in "Under-Cover Man"
45. George Raft and Lew Cody in "Under-Cover Man"
46. George Raft and Nancy Carroll in "Under-Cover Man"
47. Susan Fleming and Stuart Erwin in "He Learned About Women"
48. Stuart Erwin and Allison Skipworth in "He Learned About Women"
49. Helen Hayes and Edmund Lowe
50. Wynne Gibson?
Misc C-K Sales List
Misc C-K Checklists | Movie Card Website Front Page